TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cats vs ND (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cats vs ND
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Foul on Cats, the refs blew the call!

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 12-11-2021 07:13 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ND throws it away! Tie game with 51 seconds.
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats with the ball back!

--------------------

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
51 seconds in the game. We need to get the ball down low!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:14 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We blow a 2 footer.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:15 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
28 seconds to go and they have the ball!

--------------------

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-11-2021 07:16 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What the heck was that shot??????
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats lose 66-62! OUCH!

[ 12-11-2021, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:19 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That game hurt as we should have never let that team beat us.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They beat us on the glass!

--------------------

WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 12-11-2021 07:20 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great effort by ND. They outrebounded us. Hopefully we learn from this one and move on. Go Cats!
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 12-11-2021 07:26 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal has worn out his welcome. Terrible job of coaching. Washington and Wheeler were awful at both ends of the floor. When things aren’t working, make some changes CAL.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 12-11-2021 07:32 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats appeared lost much of the game - offense and defense. ND back cuts were killing us. 10% shooting on 3s didn't help either.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-11-2021 07:37 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were 2-19 on 3 pointers which didn't help plus only made 66% of our free throws. On the good side we only turned it over 5 times.

--------------------

WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 12-11-2021 08:05 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had 9 assists to their 15. Wheeler usually has that many by himself.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-11-2021 08:10 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was the case of one team being prepared for what the other team does, and having a game plan; the other did not. That tends to happen with Cal. Why do we have shooters, and once the season starts they can't shoot. Is it the offense? Probably. Is it Cal himself? Have no idea. But this team is underperforming, as have most of Cal's teams in my opinion.
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-11-2021 08:15 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a quote from Cal on this game: John Calipari admits they didn’t have a game plan for the way ND came out and defended Sahvir Wheeler.

Are you freaking kidding me? You get 9 million a year to have a small clue of what the other team might do to expose your weaknesses, and that's weakness #1.

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-11-2021 08:36 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We might as well get used to this. It's gonna happen some more sooner than later.

List of crappy players for this game..... and maybe more down the road.

Wheeler, Grady, Brooks and Washington. Not much defense and how many turnovers did they have?

Played well: Oscar

Cal sure had a good 5 man rotation in the second half. I hope he really loves these 5. Anyone else that got in the game in the second half must have been a mistake. If Cal could win with a 4 man rotation he'd give it a try. He can't keep up with the game when we are not making our shots. But this is normal Cal BB. Almost every year we get what is supposed to be good shooters/scorers and look what happens. I hope UK and Cal enjoy their lifetime contract because it doesn't look like BBN thinks a whole hell-of-a-lot of it.

I don't see how we will ever get close to a final four with this bunch who are some of the biggest underachievers I've seen, except for last year.

what's the odds of us starting the SEC schedule on a 3 game losing streak?? And a 7-4 record, dropping right out of the top 25. [Mad]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 12-11-2021 09:28 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pretty disheartening loss. I’m Wondering if Cal is questioning his cupcake schedule.

I knew there would be a huge adjustment of playing time but some of this makes me scratch my bald head. Allen doesn't get in the game and we needed shooters. I believe we were 2 for 19 beyond the arc. He may not be a good defensive player but I didn’t see a lot of defense out of the guards we played. Collins 3 minutes, Hopkins 5 min. I won’t be surprised to see any or all of these three transfer unless something changes.

Wheeler is a great assist guy but I wish he could develop into someone who can shoot the three and grow 6 inches. Odds are about the same for either one of these things happening.

IMO, we are not a top 25 team. The season is young and we may turn into a team that deserves to be ranked, but not right now.

On a side note, Kansas will probably pass us for all time wins this year. Oh well, we are football school now.

[ 12-11-2021, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 12-12-2021 07:42 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK Man, I heard Cal say that and could not believe my ears. He is paid over 9 million dollars per year to have his team prepared for every defense his opponent throws at him but he is not doing the job for UK anymore. The game has passed him by, all he knows is dribble drive offense.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-12-2021 09:31 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal should be able to play 8 guys on this team with ease. He just rolls out whatever he feels is best and then rides or dies with those guys. What about keeping guys fresh and giving different looks. Maybe even play different defenses with different line ups. I think Collins, Hopkins, Mintz, Toppin and Allen should all see close to double digit minutes. And why has Mintz not been running PG some? He sure changed things around last year when he took over at the point. Just frustrating to watch.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-12-2021 12:52 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I wouldn't play Allen over Mintz, or Washington, or Grady. Allen just gets lost out there on defense and shoots airballs. I wish it were not true, but he hasn't earned any respect from Cal.

I do agree that Mintz should be given some time running the point, especially when it is clear that Wheeler is being shut down. That kind of in-game substitution just seems to elude Cal. He has so many tools at his disposal but isn't very nimble in changing things around.

I thought Brooks played a good game, but I missed most of the first half. He isn't supposed to be our superstar, but he is long and athletic, and can get to the rim. But, like Allen, sometimes he gets lost on defense and we get burned.

Oscar only getting single-digit rebounds surprised me. He did have a career high scoring, but ND did an outstanding job blocking out after their shots.

Brey simply outcoached Cal. I wish Cal had some sense of (genuine, not fake) humility, but he just never will change his ways. He is more of a CEO than a coach these days, working on team morale and toughness. Maybe he should also let one of his assistants do the in-game coaching. We might be better off.

Note that I don't think Cal can't do in-game coaching. In the past, he has done a pretty good job (I thought his platoon year was handled well). But lately, he just stubbornly refuses to prepare for the opponent, sticks with his short rotation, and doesn't seem to care what we think.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-12-2021 01:37 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we have 5 players that are superior to the other teams 5 players but we lose to them, what does that mean?
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-12-2021 01:40 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Notre Dame wanted the game more than we did and that should "never" happen!!!

--------------------

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-12-2021 03:19 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
clydeh, it means the other coach did a better job. Cal is wasting Grady by just having him stand in the corner or wing and wait for a kick out. That's not how he was used at Davidson. Spread the floor for goodness sakes. There were so many times the lane was all jammed up because of the stupid offense. There were no lanes to drive. We better not lose to Ohio State. But unfortunately, I'll say the only way we win is if the layers just play amazing. I know Cal doesn't take any jump shots, and doesn't play defense, etc; but its his job to put the best pieces out there together and figure out what adjustments need to be made to make these guys as successful as they can be. It's his job to maximize the talent he has and I fee he has failed to do that more than times than not. I am just over him. IF he isn't going to get the absolute top talent, then he is worth much. I know we have some top talent coming in so we will see next year.
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 12-12-2021 05:59 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still remember that Cal was kicked out of the Mississippi State game ?last year and the player (#11) who doesn't play much was able to basically win the game on 3's.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-13-2021 07:45 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And I remember the acting coach actually drew up some plays for him to get open looks.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-13-2021 10:50 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has given up on Allen. He came in not the best player on the team and Cal has FAILED him. He started the season playing a fair share of the PT and was playing decent on both offense and defense. But in the last few games Cal won't give him a chance. He has made a mistake by staying at UK when he should have transferred. It wouldn't hurt me if Cal never gets another KY player to sign with UK.

[ 12-13-2021, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-14-2021 08:15 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's what Cal said yesterday about Allen:

“Dontaie is going to get his opportunity if guys don’t start making them,” Calipari said. “I’ve been on him about, when we do shooting drills, you cannot shoot the ball like you’re in a HORSE game. You have to be shot-ready. As you’re catching it, it’s leaving your hand to go off.”

This is what I don't like. Allen is not a catch-and-shoot shooter. He's not a Malik Monk. Cal, how about we set some screens every once in a while and try to get Allen looks that he's comfortable with. He'll shoot 40+ percent if you do that. I believe our shooters can't shoot because Cal is forcing them to rush their shots and also take bad shots.

<link>

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com