TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UK vs UNC

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK vs UNC
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 09-15-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Found this on Rivals message board... Great comparison of the two best college basketball programs in the nation.

All Time Wins:
Kentucky- 1988
North Carolina- 1984

All Time Winning Percentage:
Kentucky- (.758)
North Carolina- (.738)

NCAA Championships:
Kentucky- 7
North Carolina- 5

NCAA Championship Game Appearances:
Kentucky- 10
North Carolina- 9

NCAA Final Four Appearances:
North Carolina- 18
Kentucky- 13

NCAA Elite Eight Appearances:
Kentucky- 31
North Carolina- 24

NCAA Sweet-16 Appearances:
Kentucky- 40
North Carolina- 30

NCAA Tournament Appearances:
Kentucky- 49
North Carolina- 41

NCAA Tournament Wins:
North Carolina- 102
Kentucky- 98

NCAA Tournament Games Played:
Kentucky- 142
North Carolina- 141

NCAA Tournament Winning Percentage:
North Carolina- .723
Kentucky- .690

NCAA Tournament Final Four Wins:
Kentucky- 17
North Carolina- 15

Total Winning Seasons:
Kentucky- 89
North Carolina- 89

Total Seasons Of .500 Or Better (Non-Losing):
Kentucky- 92
North Carolina- 91

20-Win Seasons:
Kentucky- 53
North Carolina- 51

25-Win Seasons:
North Carolina- 31
Kentucky- 28

30-Win Seasons:
Kentucky- 11
North Carolina- 10

35-Win Seasons:
Kentucky- 3
North Carolina- 1

Undefeated Seasons:
Kentucky- 2
North Carolina- 2

NIT Championships:
Kentucky- 2
North Carolina- 1

Helm's National Championships:
Kentucky- 2
North Carolina- 1

All-Americans:
North Carolina- 48
Kentucky- 47

All-American Total Selections:
North Carolina- 78
Kentucky- 77

First Team Consensus All-Americans:
Kentucky- 15
North Carolina- 15

First Team Consensus All-American Selections:
Kentucky- 20
North Carolina- 20

AP #1 Finishes:
Kentucky- 8
North Carolina- 5

AP Top-5 Finishes:
Kentucky- 26
North Carolina- 21

AP Top-10 Finishes:
Kentucky- 38
North Carolina- 32

AP Top-15 Finishes:
Kentucky- 40
North Carolina- 39

AP Top-20 Finishes:
Kentucky- 44
North Carolina- 42

AP Top-25 Finishes:
Kentucky: 44
North Carolina: 43

UPI/Coaches' #1 Finishes:
Kentucky: 7
North Carolina: 6

UPI/Coaches' Top-5 Finishes:
Kentucky- 25
North Carolina- 20

UPI/Coaches' Top-10 Finishes:
Kentucky- 34
North Carolina- 33

UPI/Coaches' Top-15 Finishes:
North Carolina- 42
Kentucky- 39

UPI/Coaches' Top-20 Finishes:
North Carolina- 43
Kentucky- 41

UPI/Coaches' Top-25 Finishes:
North Carolina- 45
Kentucky- 41

Regular Season Conference Championships:
Kentucky- 43
North Carolina- 35

Conference Tournament Championships:
Kentucky- 26
North Carolina- 25

Naismith Hall-Of-Fame Members:
North Carolina- 9
Kentucky- 6

Olympic Gold Medal Winners:
North Carolina- 13
Kentucky- 9

1000-Point Scorers:
North Carolina- 62
Kentucky- 57

NBA Draft Picks:
North Carolina- 96
Kentucky- 92

National Players Of The Year:
North Carolina- 11
Kentucky- 3

National Attendance Titles:
Kentucky- 21
North Carolina- 0

Decades With A NCAA Final Four Appearance:
North Carolina- 7
Kentucky- 6

Number Of Coaches With A NCAA Championship:
Kentucky- 4
North Carolina- 3

Head-To-Head Series:
North Carolina leads the series over Kentucky 21-10.

There are 48 total categories.

Kentucky leads in 28 categories, North Carolina leads in 16 categories, and 4 categories are tied.

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 878 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner8Cat
Player
Member # 2824

posted 09-16-2009 07:28 AM      Profile for Banner8Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
2 great programs...Its great to see UK still on top but it has been painful to watch UNC pass us in at least several categories as we've had a down half decade or so and to watch them catch up with us in the other categories. I think we'll widen the margin on a few things this year and keep on heading in the right direction at least until Coach Cal retires.

--------------------
GO CATS!
http://Heardthatsports.podbean.com/

Posts: 1293 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 09-16-2009 09:28 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The one statistic I do not like is that NC leads our series 21-10. It bugs me because over the years it seems like we have always played NC in our down years and rarely in our up years. I remember this happening all the way back to the Rupp years. Many years we have clearly had the best team and we did not play them. This coincidence is the main reason they have such a lead on us and I truly believe that if we had played them every single year the series would be much more evenly balanced.

Not an excuse.....just a long time observation.

Posts: 238 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 09-16-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
kynut, great point you make. I had this same discussion with a former tarhole player recently and told him the same thing.
Lucky they caught us when we were down...

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 09-16-2009 12:53 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KYNUT "It bugs me because over the years it seems like we have always played NC in our down years and rarely in our up years."

With all due respect, that statement is incorrect, check below and you will find UNC has played UK the majority of the time when UK had good teams, just as in 1995 when you guys were one of the favorites to win the NCAA and UNC with Stackhouse and Wallace knocked UK out of the tourney. Not a down year and not down years as listed below:

UNC played UK 20 of the 31 times when UK was a Top 25 team, and 16 of those games UK has been a Top 10 team. UNC is 13-3 when UK is a Top 10 team and 14-6 when UK is a Top 25 team. There were 11 games when both were in the Top 10 (UNC is 9-2) and 16 games when both were Top 25 (UNC is 12-4). There were 12 games when UK was ranked higher than UNC (UNC is 8-4).

So in reality the "down theory" is incorrect.
That may be true as of late but then again, it evens out during the time UNC was down in the DOH years. But overall these two programs have played when both were fielding really good teams.

As to the overall post, you can not match up two schools this close on this level with this kind of success any where else in the country, not even if you combined UCLA with UNC or UCLA with UK, you still would not be able to duplicate the comaprisons listed on the post.

Two great programs with great traditions.

[ 09-16-2009, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: UNC-HEELS ]

UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 09-16-2009 01:53 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-16-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
7 titles to 5 is the most important one!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner8Cat
Player
Member # 2824

posted 09-16-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Banner8Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lol, we can make the title comparison to everyone but UCLA, so I don't wanna go that route.. UCLA has got the titles, thats about all they have though. They can't compare in any other categories.

--------------------
GO CATS!
http://Heardthatsports.podbean.com/

Posts: 1293 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 09-16-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm comparing to the tarholes - they can try but can't catch up with the important ones!!

2000 wins also I would imagine!!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WHO?UK
Player
Member # 2286

posted 09-16-2009 03:27 PM      Profile for WHO?UK   Email WHO?UK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Im not sold that UNC has only played UK on our down years. I don't have the specifics on this but they have a home/away contract with us. Who else in the country will do that with UK. NOT DUKE (they wont even play us in a neutral site) Kansas dropped us because we owned them 19-6 and there has yet to be another big program outside of UNC to come play us. they have played us 31 times and have won 21 of them. There are only two programs in KY history that have a winning record against UK. Ill find that one when I come back from the gym. I have the up-most respect for UNC because they come to Rupp just like we will go Chapel Hill. We are both great programs I'm just happy we still hold most of these categories. Hopefully Coach Cal will stretch it out some too.

[ 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: WHO?UK ]

--------------------
RLTW!

Posts: 878 | From: Savannah Ga | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 09-17-2009 02:37 AM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I'm comparing to the tarholes - they can try but can't catch up with the important ones!!"

WE will see, we will see, time will tell.
But we are not going away anytime soon.

Most likely UK will get 2000 wins first, but that has never been much of a thought with UNC fans and in fact had not even known it until this year when fans on catpause were talking about it.

Our OOC is the toughest in the nation this year(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/luke_winn/09/15/schedule/index.html?eref=T1) and not likely we will go undefeated in OOC like last year. Not with this years schedule. UK does have a favorable schedule this year so UK should reach 2000 first with out much problem.

But, this is what makes the games between our programs special. Lots of tradition and both being very close statistically.

[ 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: UNC-HEELS ]

kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 09-21-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UNC-HEELS:
KYNUT "It bugs me because over the years it seems like we have always played NC in our down years and rarely in our up years."

With all due respect, that statement is incorrect, check below and you will find UNC has played UK the majority of the time when UK had good teams, just as in 1995 when you guys were one of the favorites to win the NCAA and UNC with Stackhouse and Wallace knocked UK out of the tourney. Not a down year and not down years as listed below:

UNC played UK 20 of the 31 times when UK was a Top 25 team, and 16 of those games UK has been a Top 10 team. UNC is 13-3 when UK is a Top 10 team and 14-6 when UK is a Top 25 team. There were 11 games when both were in the Top 10 (UNC is 9-2) and 16 games when both were Top 25 (UNC is 12-4). There were 12 games when UK was ranked higher than UNC (UNC is 8-4).

So in reality the "down theory" is incorrect.
That may be true as of late but then again, it evens out during the time UNC was down in the DOH years. But overall these two programs have played when both were fielding really good teams.

As to the overall post, you can not match up two schools this close on this level with this kind of success any where else in the country, not even if you combined UCLA with UNC or UCLA with UK, you still would not be able to duplicate the comaprisons listed on the post.

Two great programs with great traditions.

If there have been 12 games where UK was ranked higher than UNC then there must have been 19 games where UNC was ranked higher than UK, therefore supporting my contention that UNC caught us a majority of the time when we were down (relatively speaking). So, if UNC won 8 games when UK was the higher ranked team, then they won the other 13 games when UNC was the higher ranked team. Perhaps that explains why it has always seemed to me that UNC has caught us "down" so many times.

Still, I found your statistics interesting even though neither they nor my long-time observations can totally explain the anomaly of UK's dismal record vs UNC.

UNC-HEELS
Player
Member # 2523

posted 09-21-2009 12:32 PM      Profile for UNC-HEELS     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kynut,

Fact is UNC and UK have played many times when both were ranked teams, both were in the NCAA.

UK has had a down period in their program when UNC has played them, and UNC has had a down period in their program when UK has played them.

The stats are telling. The theory UNC has only played UK in down years is a dog that wont hunt.

I have watched the games for many years and I can assure you as the stats should, it simply has not been the case that UNC has played UK when UK was down. Some cases yes, but that applies to both programs. So either way, that aspect is a wash.

AshTuckyUKfan
Player
Member # 3065

posted 09-21-2009 02:51 PM      Profile for AshTuckyUKfan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't like using the "down year theory".

I hate to, I really do, but I have to agree with UNC-HEELS. We are the winningest program in ncaa college basketball history, so by theory...wouldn't we have had fewer "down" years as well. I am glad that uk and unc play regularly now so we can catch up quicker, as I'm sure we will.

Posts: 369 | From: Ashland KY | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 09-22-2009 10:30 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, like I said UNC has been ranked higher than UK in 19 (61%) of the 31 games played and UK has been ranked higher in 12 games (39%). UNC has won 21 of the 31 games played (68%) and UK has won 10 of the 31 games (32%). These facts make it plain as day that the higher ranked team wins very close to the percentage of games that they are higher ranked; UNC was higher ranked 61% of the time and has won 68% of the games.

Clearly then, UNC has caught UK in a down (or lower ranked) year much more often than UK has caught UNC in a down year......61% to 39%, and this fact accounts for most of the difference in games won or lost, with the higher ranked team winning very close to the percentage of games they should win.

A reasonable person would expect two teams that have won almost exactly 2000 games to be nearly equal in wins or losses when they play each other. In my mind the quirks in scheduling evident in the above statistics explain why this is not so, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

viperz
Player
Member # 289

posted 09-22-2009 01:11 PM      Profile for viperz     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's all just admit that UNC has owned UK head to head, similar to how UK has dominated KU over the years. It's annoying but it is what it is.
Posts: 4622 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com