TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » What is so great about this FB staff/ maybe joker

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is so great about this FB staff/ maybe joker
thecatman
Player
Member # 2672

posted 06-26-2006 02:56 PM      Profile for thecatman   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Folks, been hearing for the last three years just how great this UK football staff is? Why?
Except for Joker Phillips, who is now in just year two as a OC, and his recruiting talents, there is just not much success yet with this current coaching staff.
Consider, Mike Archer. Been here twice, and his defenses have stopped NOBODY. Gives up nearly 34 points per game and no turnovers. He's done nothing, repeat nothing with not one but two attempts with this DC coordinators jobs at UK.
All he does is argues with refs, and has drawn a 15 yard personal foul penality. Please, someone, anyone, reveal what this man has done as a DC at UK?????
Defensive line coach Rick Petri, has coached in the SEC, and a solid coach.
Ortmeyer, some NFL experience, but just a so-so speciality teams coach. Derek Abney made him look good, a couple of years ago.
Heggins, the offensive line coach, was fired by Bobby Bowden at FSU. Bobby nevers fires any assistants....ever....This is Saint Bobby Bowden, a hall of fame college head coach.
So, if he can't coached much talent offensive lines at FSU, what makes you think he will be a better coach , lesser talent at UK? UK only averaged 128 yds per game on the ground, and didnt protect Woodson or Pulley at times, in key situations.
QB coach Randy Sanders. Probably, a decent coach, but was fired by Big Phil at Tennessee. UT won a lot of football games when he was there as an assistant, but just so-so when he was the OC.
So, please tell me how great this UK football staff really is. They get whacked by UL each year, and have not posted many wins with Rich Brooks.
Most people are tired of the probation excuses. Other schools have done well with similiar type sanctions in the past.

Posts: 66 | From: midwest | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 06-27-2006 02:12 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My question on the football board: Is "thecatman" really a supporter of UK football? Does this guy even know anything about the game? I don't usually call people out, but this guy carries a rain cloud around with him, wherever he posts.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 06-27-2006 08:18 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is right mostly, only who is saying that this staff is so great? [Confused]

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
RV
Recruit
Member # 2415

posted 06-27-2006 12:29 PM      Profile for RV     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just an agenda poster that doesn't even know the facts. UK led or was near the top of special teams stats last year and Ortmeyer wasn't on Mori$$ staff when Abney weaved his magic.

Not worth reading or conversing with.

Posts: 17 | From: Russell KY | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
thecatman
Player
Member # 2672

posted 06-27-2006 01:12 PM      Profile for thecatman   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trust me, I know college football, period. RV, made good pick up on Ortmeyer , maybe not being on the staff, when Abney was one the best return guys in the nation.
Im not completely knocking Ortmeyer, but most of his experience was in the NFL. The NFL, mostly a fraternity of assistant coaches. They just move from one team to the next. In fact, there was a year or two, where Ortmeyer was not in the NFL. The new XFL, etc.....

Im trying to be objective. The truth hurtst sometimes. I just dont think UK fans look at the big picture overall. Maybe its that losing in football has been the history over the last 60 years. Jerry Claiborne did a great job, but was not .500. Claiborne has one of the highest win perecentage at Maryland, and Va.Tech. Curci, had some decent years, but probation. Mumme, the same, and hired the fat guy Bassett, and got the program on probation. Mumme knew what was going on. Morris, had one good and bad year. Didn't want to deal with Barnhart, and took the money and ran to Baylor. Brooks, brought in to clean up the mess. But Brooks, has no ties to the SEC. Was out of football for a year or two, in semi-retirement. Sure, he got Oregon to the Rose Bowl, but he was there well over 18 plus years. Not a great coach, and UK deserves better!!!!
Its the media, who has said how good this UK football staff is overall. Again, someone tell me what in god's name is so great about Mike Archer.
I mean the numbers bear this out. His defensive coaching for both his stays at UK, have been horrible.
Plus, what is so great about Heggins?????
As a offensive line coach.

Bobby Bowden, never fires assistants, and he might be the only one in 20 years of coaching????

Like to see someone counter the points from the above mentioned. That's all.

thecatman
Player
Member # 2672

posted 06-27-2006 02:33 PM      Profile for thecatman   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, BTW folks. UK was 3-8 last season.
Trailed Idaho State in the fourth quarter, nearly averaged giving up 35 points per game.
UK gave up 196 yards per game on the ground.

Funky Boss
Player
Member # 2660

posted 06-30-2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Funky Boss   Author's Homepage   Email Funky Boss   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can understand folks getting defensive when posting stuff like this about the Tubbster. But we're talking about Brooks and Co. Have you guys watched the same teams on the field that we have?? Yeah, we were great in special teams because of Rafael Little. And we were stinking in every other stat column. Special teams help win games, offense and defense WIN games. Neither of which we have. At least before we had some decent offense. Now even that stinks.

--------------------

Posts: 239 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-30-2006 04:27 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thecatman, even the most diehard cat fans have reservations about this staff..all you have to do is look at his record while he has been here and you see nothing but losses...he had a very good recruiting class for kentucky standards but when you compare it to the bigs of the sec it's mediocre at best. we all want the best for kentucky but it truly doesn't look good for the current staff as even though our schedule is the best it's been in years we are going to be real lucky to go 6-6 and more than likely will have another losing season. we all will be pulling and cheering for them but reality is what it is..

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-04-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is impossible to recruit when the former coach leaves the program in such a state. He is finally able to make some inroads so let's give him a chance pls!! No coach could have come in here and made us instant winners IMO

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Player
Member # 108

posted 07-04-2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Brandon   Email Brandon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
No coach could have come in here and made us instant winners IMO

Now that is a statement that I'll buy without reservation.

If UK could have resurrected Bear Bryant himself and brought him in as head coach, there's no way the first couple of seasons would have produced much better than what they did.

To me, I saw UK's biggest problem overall was depth at every position. When a starter went down and his replacement was only about half as good a player as the starter was...it got ugly real fast.
That's something you can't lay completely on the coaches.

However, letting the past stay in the past is what we should be focusing on now. UK has built some decent talent in the depth chart this season and now is the time for the current coaching staff to show what it's made of now. IF Brooks and company want to be considered serious coaches in the SEC, this is the year to prove it. I think this is indeed a "put up or shut up" for UK Football and if there are coaches that simply aren't getting the job done, I think changes should be made and what's more, will be made.

Brooks and Barnhardt might be old buddies but this is the SEC and despite UK being a basketball school, they are in a football conference. In the SEC, the term isn't "show friends" it's "show business" and Uk wants to have even moderate success on the football field each season, they have to put players on the roster that can play the game, and they have to put coaches on the sidelines that know the game and can coach it successfully.

From this fans point of view, FWIW, I say Brooks has had his honeymoon season, he's had his rebuilding season, he's had his refining season. Now he has to show up and produce a successful product. A 3 or 4 win season just won't cut it anymore. 6 wins this season is a reasonable and certainly acheivable goal for this team. If they don't win a minimum of 6 games this season, I would look for a lot of wholesale changes in the coaching ranks at UK.

--------------------
Safety and peace be with you always.

Posts: 6632 | From: Earth...Thanks for visiting. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Funky Boss
Player
Member # 2660

posted 07-05-2006 12:34 AM      Profile for Funky Boss   Author's Homepage   Email Funky Boss   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Any high school football player worth his marbles would be crazy not to accept a scholarship to an SEC school and get immediate PT. I think Micah Johnson realized that. Obviously, there is something else about our program that makes recruits either go to Louisville or out of state. A good coaching staff could easily change this. It's not hard to recruit Pters for the SEC. It's the SEC!!

--------------------

Posts: 239 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com