TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » It deserves comment

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It deserves comment
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 11-03-2006 12:26 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know this is a UK board. I know that it was UVEL. But it does bring to my mind a simple question: How can two teams from relatively short distances from Lexington have so many more athletes than does UK? For me it was the next best thing to seeing UK-LW, I watched football on ESPN (although with Spanish announcers, thus the volume was turned off) and listened to basketball. I was unimpressed with either team's defense but perhaps they were so explosive offensively. The speed and quickness difference between UL & WV as compared to UK was stark and huge. Where and how can Cats find better athletes?

[ 11-03-2006, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: prophet ]

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 11-03-2006 01:59 PM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a good question. All I can figure at least in UofL's case, there is so much more at stake. If they lose, they lose the fans. UK fans just keep coming. Maybe the coaches just don't feel enough heat.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
jsence2
Player
Member # 2477

posted 11-03-2006 02:22 PM      Profile for jsence2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UofL has played (and beaten) Florida State and Miami in the past few years. Petrino has connections in Georgia and Florida. He's using them, along with the wins over FSU and Miami, to get that "Florida speed". West Virginia has done the same thing by beating Miami and playing them often.

We only play Florida, and we lose.

--------------------
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."--President Teddy Roosevelt

"Stupidity is one of the great ruling forces of the human race." --Dr. Mark Summers, University of Kentucky

Posts: 2340 | From: Louisville, KY (also known as Purgatory) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zakk Wyldcat
Player
Member # 2319

posted 11-03-2006 02:39 PM      Profile for Zakk Wyldcat        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jsence2:
UofL has played (and beaten) Florida State and Miami in the past few years. Petrino has connections in Georgia and Florida. He's using them, along with the wins over FSU and Miami, to get that "Florida speed". West Virginia has done the same thing by beating Miami and playing them often.

We only play Florida, and we lose.

Yep, UL's back 7 on defense were all from Georgia and Florida. UK needs to do a better job of cultivating contacts in those states and identifying the talent that is overlooked or passed on by UGa, UF, etc.
Posts: 119 | From: Nashville | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-05-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First let me say that I'm not a Louisville hater and have even been known to root for their football team at times here in Indiana when they play the likes of Miami (Fla) etc., but......

I watched the UL/WVU game and wasn't impressed by either team. I think both teams couldn't make it through the SEC regular season with less than three losses. Those two defenses are aweful and rank right up there with the defense that UK puts on the field right now.

I think Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Arkansas would clean either teams clock especially in the Swamp, Death Valley, etc.

The Big East is weak. This was the only game of the year for either team, unlike the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 and even PAC 10 regular seasons.

I even heard Terry Bradshaw comment on Louisville today when they released the BCS rankings and he said he watched the game and thought that if it ended up OSU and Louisville that Louisville would get embarrassed. Howie and Jimmy were more political, but when Fox cut away to commercial the guys mics were still on and you could hear what they really thought about Louisville as they were laughing about the possible matchup.

[ 11-05-2006, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11625 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-09-2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even less impressed with Louisville now.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-09-2006 10:14 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still don't feel like UL played anybody!!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124043 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
FlaCatz
Player
Member # 925

posted 11-09-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for FlaCatz   Email FlaCatz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They would likely have 3 losses right now if they played, an SEC schedule..............

It will show in the BCS too when they plummet below, Florida, Texas and Auburn...to dare I say it.......... #8.... This could allow Arkansas or LSU to enter the top 10 with an Arkansas win over Tennessee or LSU over Alabama.......

I still believe the winner of the SEC with only 1 loss should play the winner of the Ohio St/Michigan game.........

--------------------
Pray for our Service Members and their families left behind!

Posts: 8880 | From: Lawrenceburg, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 11-10-2006 10:07 AM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good comments, and I agree with most. It still doesn't answer my question: How do UL & UWV get more and better athletes? Or maybe the question is based on false assumption: that they do have better athletes. Those who live in the area will have a better feel for that.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-10-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by prophet:
Or maybe the question is based on false assumption: that they do have better athletes.

That is the way that I look at it. I don't really think they have better athletes, but they play lower competition than UK is facing in the SEC. Now I will admit that they do have a few freaks in Bush and Urretia (SP?).

--------------------

redbone

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-10-2006 11:59 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Part of it may be the system. Remember Mumme was able to pull some tricks with what must have been inferior talent because of his system.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com