TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Brooks will be back

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brooks will be back
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 11-17-2006 05:41 AM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A contract extension has yet to be finalized, but Kentucky Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart has confirmed that UK football coach Rich Brooks will be back on the sidelines next season.

Link

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 11-17-2006 10:36 AM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is some ambivalence in my response to this expected news. There is no doubt that Coach Brooks deserves all the accolades that is and will be coming his way. Taking UK football from the depths of Mumme-inspired probation to its current position is a grand accomplishment that speaks well of Brooks' abilities. And there is little doubt he deserves a contract extension past the one remaining year. My ambivalence comes from the temptation to make it a multi-year extension. As one who is older than Coach it concerns me that he will be my age the end of a 4-year extension. Hall of Famers Paterno and Bowden vividly show the results of coaching too long. Contract extension? Absolutely. Multi-year extension? Caution.

[ 11-17-2006, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: prophet ]

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 11-17-2006 10:43 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One could argue a two-year extension IMO, but it should be laden with bonuses for achievement instead of salary.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
eleem
Player
Member # 884

posted 11-17-2006 04:02 PM      Profile for eleem   Email eleem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Prophet I agree, statement well said.

[ 11-17-2006, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: eleem ]

Posts: 13248 | From: flatwoods,ky. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
akf
Player
Member # 1714

posted 11-17-2006 04:48 PM      Profile for akf   Email akf   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
prophet - Your Post is right on. Very well stated. I don't think that Mitch is counting on Rich being the "1, as far as the future is concerned. I think somebody like Joker is in that future. I'm beginning to think that Rich, in the short term, was, and is, a great bridge to a better future. Rich has definitely tried to do it the right way, and results seem to indicate that it has somewhat worked.

--------------------
Steve

Posts: 4073 | From: Central KY | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-17-2006 07:49 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My biggest concern is the fact that we got a VERY favorable schedule this year. Playing both Mississippi schools, hand Geaorgia a loss, beating Vandy, While not having to play too many of the powerhouses in the country. throw in a coupld of Div. II teams and we have a winning season. NOw don't call me a pessimist, because if you were to know me personally I'm one of the biggest optimists you will ever meet. I'm reserved on how long of an extensoin as well, although I know he needs a few years on his contract in order to get the recruits!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124142 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Player
Member # 108

posted 11-18-2006 09:55 AM      Profile for Brandon   Email Brandon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like an extension for 2 years just for the sake of recruiting purposes mainly. That would give the current recruiting class a chance to finish their careers under the man that recruited them and the incoming freshmen would be seniors at the end of the contract.

At the same time, I would be breeding my replacement if I were Brooks and Barnhart. If it's going to be Joker Philips, I would be doing everything short of flat out saying so at this point.

I still like Charlie Strong as a potential candidate as well though. I just hope Brooks is at least as successful in the following seasons as he was this season.

--------------------
Safety and peace be with you always.

Posts: 6632 | From: Earth...Thanks for visiting. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-20-2006 07:27 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
m hamilton,

quote:
... While not having to play too many of the powerhouses in the country.
Well, as a fellow optimist, let me remind you that we have played Louisville, Florida, and LSU thus far, and are gettin' ready for our annual tilt with Tennessee. Note also that Georgia just put a whippin' on Auburn, so don't discount them too much -- they may not be the SEC champion again, but they are a potent team.

Don't sell this team's accomplishments short. Given the history of folding in close games, finding a way to lose, etc., UK would usually be playing just to end the misery by now. We squeaked by a poor opponent (must have read our press clippings as we dreamed of a bowl game [Roll Eyes] ), but I still say we can gather ourselves for a great game this Saturday. A victory over Tennessee would be a sweet ending to a sweet season...

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13665 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
NKYDude
Player
Member # 690

posted 11-20-2006 07:52 AM      Profile for NKYDude   Email NKYDude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ya' gotta' start somewhere, and if that means having a "favorable schedule", so be it. I don't care what bowl UK goes to, it's better than no bowl at this point. Ya' gotta' earn the bigger ones and you do that by getting better each year and doing well in bowls that you do get invited to.

Brooks coming back is a good thing if for no other reason than stability.

--------------------
"You are what you eat." Hmmmm, nuts must be a commoner diet than we had thought.

Posts: 3248 | From: Butler, KY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 11-20-2006 08:33 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NKYDude:

Brooks coming back is a good thing if for no other reason than stability.

That's pretty much the ONLY reason. If that was important though, then why would Barnhart not even talk to Morris?

Plus, how stable is a coach in his mid-60's?

Here's my take on this season. They added a game to the schedule which was last weekend games. There were six games on the schedule that we were supposed to win and six games that we were not supposed to win. We won the games the at we were supposed, plus beat Georgia--so Brooks has earned a right to stay. However, almost getting beat by what's-their-names last weekend did not help the cause much.

Also, aside from $$$ what good is going to a bowl game to get blown out?

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-20-2006 08:39 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nkydude, you are correct on stability, we need that at this time more than anything. i see where brooks isn't going to make any coaching changes either, which adds to the stability angle....i do hope they emphasis the defensive side of the ball when recruiting this year. a lot of people are really down on archer but a lot of his problems are not having enough 3, 4, and 5 star athletes like most of the other sec teams. the scholarsip situation has really hurt us although we have done well recruiting offensive players. now it's time to beef up the defensive side of the ball.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 11-20-2006 09:21 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with all the posters. We did have enough lower ranked teams to pull off a winning season. No problem. The way I see it we could just as easily have been 4-7 at this point except for a little good luck in a few games. Where would we be if luck had went the other way? Would this board be filled with people calling for the end of the Brooks era?

OK, so we did have a good season record and Brooks should get an extension. Should it be a longer one in view of who we played and how we played against them? I agree that it should be no more than 2 more years due to his age and for recruiting purposes. Anything longer only requires a bigger buyout if we return to the 2 or 3 win season again next year. DON'T CUT YOUR OWN THROAT!

As I have said all year we just don't have enough of those multi-starred players, especially on defense. With more higher rated players maybe we can return next year with another 7-5 or 8-4 record.

[ 11-20-2006, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14261 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
NKYDude
Player
Member # 690

posted 11-20-2006 09:24 AM      Profile for NKYDude   Email NKYDude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you have against a coach who is in his mid 60's? What? He can't "relate" to todays players? Heck, neither can I and I'm 38. Players don't need someone they can "relate" to in a head coach (or anything else for that matter). They need someone who knows the game, and has high standards for them.

The best coach my wife had as a swimmer was not a "relational" coach. He had high standards and expected his swimmers to come up to those standards. She excelled under his coaching.

As far as the bowl game, I hope they do not go to a "big" one this year. I'd rather them go to a smaller one where they have a shot at winning. THis builds confidence for next year and helps some in recruiting.

--------------------
"You are what you eat." Hmmmm, nuts must be a commoner diet than we had thought.

Posts: 3248 | From: Butler, KY | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com