TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Petrino to Arkansas

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Petrino to Arkansas
LouisvilleCat
Player
Member # 2679

posted 12-11-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for LouisvilleCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ESPN is reporting that Bobby Petrino will be resigning as Atlanta's head coach and will be taking the Arkansas job.

link

prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 12-11-2007 05:42 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's sort of a shocker although Petrino didn't look all that focused during last night's TV game. He's another "casualty" of the Vick saga but I have the feeling he's one of those cats that will always end on its feet. Talent-wise probably a good hire for Hogs; character-wise? We'll see.

[ 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: prophet ]

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LouisvilleCat
Player
Member # 2679

posted 12-11-2007 05:46 PM      Profile for LouisvilleCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I am surprised by this too. I figured he would give it a few years to see what he could do.
TampaKat
Player
Member # 2109

posted 12-11-2007 08:03 PM      Profile for TampaKat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking Of Vick, I hope the Tampa Bay Bucs pick him up, this is how I figure it, Gruden likes punks, Vick is a punk, I like high energy exciting players Vick is exciting, in Prison Vick should get in better shape then he is already in, Gruden likes older QB's, by the time Vick can play Garcia will be retired and Vick will have a life span of two to three years....

Sounds good to me, I would pay to watch him play.. I had a student say to me the other day so and so stoled my Michael Vick card, I said does he have a orange jump suit on? The kid looked at me funny and I ended with, "You really need to find a better role model than Vick, he is not a good guy!" The student agreed, doesn't mean I would be against him being a Buc!

--------------------
Is a poster of Wall on my Wall, a oxymoron?

Posts: 2421 | From: Tampa Fl | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Atlanta Cat Fan
Administrator
Member # 1746

posted 12-11-2007 09:52 PM      Profile for Atlanta Cat Fan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess Atlanta got what they deserved by hiring someone who tried to get the Auburn job while a coach was still there and who signed a ten year deal with UL immediately before signing up with the NFL. He had problems with the players from day 1 and eventually quit on the team today. Ala Nick Saban, he told the team owner yesterday that he was not taking the Arkansas job. He then literally phoned in his resigation.

--------------------

Posts: 9407 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Blue Blazer
Player
Member # 2915

posted 12-12-2007 01:00 AM      Profile for The Blue Blazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I question Petrino's character as do most... Does anybody else think Arkansas might just be a stepping stone back in the NCAA for him? I personally think hes a liability. Look at his past, was it all to end up coaching at Arkansas, doubt it!

--------------------
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on." -- Blow

Posts: 302 | From: Lexington | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 12-12-2007 07:55 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would rather see him go to the Big 10, Big 12, SWC, pac 10...Anywhere but the SEC. He will be a winner again in college ball and Ark is probably just a short stopover to somewhere bigger.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 12-12-2007 08:25 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bayer:
He will be a winner again in college ball and Ark is probably just a short stopover to somewhere bigger.

But will he win fast enough for Arkansas? What has he done? Won an Orange Bowl with a Big East schedule. Will that impress Tuberville, Saban, Miles (if he is still around), Spurrier or Myers?

Will he be able to handle the character argument on the recruiting trail?

The Razorbacks have a winning program, but they want a championship one.

Fred

[ 12-12-2007, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: BlueCollarMan ]

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 12-12-2007 09:22 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMO, he will get the job done, IF, he stays at Ark long enough.

I just think he has a knack for getting the right players for his system and then getting them to do the job.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Atlanta Cat Fan
Administrator
Member # 1746

posted 12-12-2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Atlanta Cat Fan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Blazer:
Does anybody else think Arkansas might just be a stepping stone back in the NCAA for him? I personally think hes a liability. Look at his past, was it all to end up coaching at Arkansas, doubt it!

I put the over/under for his tenure at Arkansas at 2 years.

--------------------

Posts: 9407 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 12-12-2007 11:26 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Arkansas job is similar to the Louisville job in that you won't have fans that care much about character in coach as long as he wins.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 12-12-2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sort of like Kentucky basketball.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36279 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 12-12-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sort of like Kentucky basketball.

Besides lacking a shred of substantiating evidence that statement is without a single redeeming feature.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 12-12-2007 01:16 PM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree too. Tubby was here for an entire decade. If it was true of UK fans, then he would have been fired (not resigned), and it would have happened after his first stretch of 10-loss seasons.

Also, if Tubby is the model of good character, I would have to disagree with that as well.

Fred

[ 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: BlueCollarMan ]

The Blue Blazer
Player
Member # 2915

posted 12-12-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for The Blue Blazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was watching ESPN today and some sports analyst on "College Football Tonight" (don't know who I was listening from the other room) was talking about the "market value" for football coaches in the SEC is higher than any other conference because (and I quote) "thats all they have down there!"

This statement really pissed me off. Didn't an SEC win it all in Basketball the last 2 years in a row? I mean I realize the SEC totally dominates football but, to say "thats all we have down there" makes me want to puke.

Even with respects to baseball, and soccer the SEC IS A SOLID conference what is this guy talking about?

--------------------
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on." -- Blow

Posts: 302 | From: Lexington | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 12-12-2007 05:53 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And there are track, cross country, golf and tennis. Plus UT and other women's BB. Oh well, we once actually fought a war over such slights.

--------------------

Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 12-12-2007 11:50 PM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The War Prophet refers too was from 1861-1865.

And sadly, that is the reason statements to this day, more than 140-years are still heard.

The SEC can hold its own with any other conference in Div 1. The SEC has placed several teams into the Final Four during the last few years. The southern states are loaded with talented basketball players and the SEC may be a little down this season but it will not last you can take that to the bank.

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com