TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Recruiting??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recruiting??
G N' R CAT
Player
Member # 2846

posted 12-13-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for G N' R CAT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rich said that recruiting was going great but do you really think that he was telling the truth or do you think he was just telling people that, i mean you could figure that would be what he would say but i really dont know with Chris Jordan, Shaun Mohler, and Darius Willis all gone. We will hopefully get a bunch of talented players through January and February

--------------------

prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 12-14-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
...going great...
is a relative term, i.e. "going great" relative to previous UK recruiting compared to "going great" relative to the traditional SEC powers is a whole different thing.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ohiocat
Player
Member # 2560

posted 12-14-2007 10:42 AM      Profile for ohiocat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's the problem.UK will never get the recruits that the LSU's,Florida's,Georgia's,Tennessee's etc,etc.of the college football world do.I think the best way for them to get to the level of those teams and compete for an SEC title is what Rich Rodriguez did at WVU.He went to a gimmick spread offense that's very difficult to stop.Just ask mighty SEC power Georgia about that.WVU shot right up in the national rankings despite an overall lack of talent.The QB in the spread attack is a huge weapon.That's the key.Problem is when you commit turnovers or the QB gets injured you don't have the conventional game to fall back on.Just a thought.

[ 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: ohiocat ]

Posts: 168 | From: Hilliard Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ohiocat
Player
Member # 2560

posted 12-14-2007 10:43 AM      Profile for ohiocat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
duplicate

[ 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: ohiocat ]

prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 12-14-2007 10:58 AM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good theory, ohiocat, and it's been done at places other than WV, with good results: Oregon, Cal (Pac 10), KU (Big 12), Illinois (Big 10/11) e.g. But a complicating factor for the spread and football in general for UK is: Cats are in the SEC. I don't think it's just coincidence that a pure spread offense (Urban Meyer's Gator offense may be the closest) hasn't been operated successfully in SEC.

[ 12-14-2007, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: prophet ]

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
KyCat
Player
Member # 146

posted 12-14-2007 11:56 AM      Profile for KyCat   Email KyCat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem too with a gimmick offense is that it is usually short lived in its success. Of course 2-3 years of success with it can lead to attracting better talent so as not to have to depend on the gimmick.

--------------------
TheThack

Posts: 1745 | From: Nicholasville, Ky, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ohiocat
Player
Member # 2560

posted 12-14-2007 02:02 PM      Profile for ohiocat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KyCat:
The problem too with a gimmick offense is that it is usually short lived in its success. Of course 2-3 years of success with it can lead to attracting better talent so as not to have to depend on the gimmick.

Excellent point.
I do know that WVU is the leader for the top high school QB in the nation due to the appeal of the spread offense they run.The kid is from PA is is being compared to Vince Young.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com