TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Kentucky is now bowl elgible!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kentucky is now bowl elgible!
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-01-2008 07:00 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like it or not and it wasn't pretty but the cat's shown bright in a comeback win. It's something when you get drubbed unmmercifully the week before and then go down and win in a comeback game. I hope some of us fans get back on the band wagon and support this team that gave a all out effort.

Randall Cobb passed for one touchdown and rushed for another, and Kentucky blocked an extra point early in the fourth quarter to beat Mississippi State 14-13 on Saturday.

Mississippi State kicker Adam Carlson also missed a 27-yard field goal attempt with 7:16 remaining as Kentucky (6-3, 2-3 Southeastern Conference) rallied from a 7-0 deficit to reach bowl eligibility.

In his first start, Cobb scored on a 5-yard touchdown run on the Wildcats' opening drive of the second half, then hit Maurice Grinter with a 3-yard touchdown pass to take a 14-7 lead later in the third.

Mississippi State (3-6, 1-4) recovered Alfonso Smith's fumble late in the third quarter to set up Tyson Lee's 10-yard touchdown pass to Arnil Stallworth, and it looked as if the Bulldogs might tie the game. But Kentucky blocked the extra point, then ended one scoring threat on fourth-and-7 and picked off Lee with a minute left to end a final rally.

Kentucky will make its third straight bowl appearance after beating Florida State in the Music City Bowl last season. The Bulldogs will have to win three straight if they want to make it two in a row as well.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a good win for the Cats. Squeaking out a must win game.

Every game is a must win game, though, isn't it?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124043 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-01-2008 07:20 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It obviously was not a thing of beauty, but in my mind it was a great win for this team. They are obviously inexperienced at QB, but they have one thing teams in the past did not have--Grit. They just don't quit and don't give up on themselves.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-01-2008 07:34 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bayer, i think they get a lot of that grit from two hard-nosed coachs in Brooks and Phillips. Those two just won't let them get down, they just keep pushing them until they get it right.

We have done real well with what we have and if we continue to recruit good players we will get that much better....

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-01-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree 100%, but we need to get to the point that we can get enough talented recruits that we can redshirt some of them to get that extra experience and size.

--------------------

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who's our defensive coordinator? You never hear anyone talk about him!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-01-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Steve Brown. They were really talking him up during the Alabama game.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2008 07:43 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the comment someone made earlier that 2 of our 3 losses are to teams ranked in teh top 8 inthe country!

After the beatdown Florida put on Georgia today, I think they could play with possibly anyone in the country right now!

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-01-2008 08:11 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even UT which is still down to South Carolina 21-0 inthe 3rd Qtr. [Big Grin]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think, if the CATS don't win another game, (I hope we win at least 2 more but would like to see us win out) that KY would still get a bowl game because we travel so well?

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-01-2008 08:29 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I do. It might be the Independence Bowl in Shreveport or the Liberty in Memphis, but someone will take us just for the gate.

BTW, check back in on my food thread. Want you to see something.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a sweet colection, Bayer. I've got the 2 championship bottles and a Segrams 7 championship bottle!

--------------------

Max Beasley
Player
Member # 1320

posted 11-01-2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Max Beasley     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ga. will be a chore but we have a decent shot against both Vandy and Tenn. so I believe we get one more and have a 7-5 with a optimistic view of 8-4. Lets Go Bowlin!
Posts: 3089 | From: somerset, kentucky | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 11-02-2008 12:43 AM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We cannot go back and "replay" our games once its over. But we were within an eyelash of beating Alabama at bama, and if not for turnovers we beat SC in Lexington. Does anyone realize had we accomplished that we'd be sitting tonight with an 8-1 record?, done with little or no offense, our two best offensive threats lost for the season, (Lyons & Locke). Starting a freshman QB. Hats off to Rich Brooks, this is our THIRD straight UK football team to go bowling,today was our 22nd win in the past three years with three left to play not including our bowl game. Has Kentucky EVER won 22 football games in a three year period?

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-02-2008 05:29 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
I agree with the comment someone made earlier that 2 of our 3 losses are to teams ranked in teh top 8 inthe country!

After the beatdown Florida put on Georgia today, I think they could play with possibly anyone in the country right now!

UF should beat Bama in the SEC championship game. If that happens, they should get the title shot and win it.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Player
Member # 108

posted 11-02-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Brandon   Email Brandon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kentucky will make its third straight bowl appearance after beating Florida State in the Music City Bowl last season.
I really hope this is true but I don't like to make those statements with just 6 wins. I will say that if UK wins at least 1 more game, they will be in a bowl for sure. I would just like to see that 7th win show up before we start talking about bowl games.

--------------------
Safety and peace be with you always.

Posts: 6632 | From: Earth...Thanks for visiting. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ohiocat
Player
Member # 2560

posted 11-03-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for ohiocat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guess what?
This team has a legit chance to win 2 more games and finish 8-4 in the regular season.Tennessee is ripe for the taking this year.Vandy is improved but beatable.Very nice season for the Cats considering the losses on offense.

Posts: 168 | From: Hilliard Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com