TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » bowl

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bowl
hosslee
Player
Member # 2983

posted 11-29-2008 10:28 PM      Profile for hosslee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This team should not go to a bowl!They are really bad.Started out 4-0.
Posts: 106 | From: prestonsburg | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 11-30-2008 09:20 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Look at the bowl as another month or so of practice and a recruiting tool. Recruits want to hear that the team who is recruiting them gets in a bowl most years.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-30-2008 10:03 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I said it last night and I'll say it again, very few rational fans thought this team would even be 6-6. I know I expected 4-8, but after the way they played early, they should have been 8-4. The things we all forget are:

1. No experienced QB

2. No reliable receivers after injuries.

3. No solid running game after injuries.

4. Less than solid defense after injuries.

5. Just not enough talented depth to be expected to compete in the SEC.

Considering all of that and even more importantly those matters cited by ukcatfannfl above, this team cannot afford not to go to a bowl game. In addition, if we refused a bowl invitation the SEC would probably revolt, given all the money that comes from these events.

So, be happy with 6-6 this year, take our bowl game and move on to a brighter future.

[ 11-30-2008, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-30-2008 10:29 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with Bayer and UKCF.

It is very important that UK makes it to a bowl, every season. Just look at Miss State, who went to a bowl last season and this season their coach resigns. Yes, bowling is critical for the program to move forward, even if it is the empty food bowl.

The extra month of practice for the younger players and the visibility for the recruits is critical to Kentucky's success.

UK was decimated by injuries and having lost all the experience at QB.

With the extra month, they have a chance to get some of their injured players back, some extra experience for Cobb, and some much needed preparation for the young receiving corps. They also have a chance to win the bowl game, ending the season on a high note and giving them some inspiration going into next season.

Even with the 2 high profile QBs coming in, I fully expect Cobb to be the starter, going into next season. But, if he gets beat out, he will be a star player as a receiver, so it is a win/win situation for the Cats.

[ 11-30-2008, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: boomdaddy ]

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 11-30-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Even with the 2 high profile QBs coming in, I fully expect Cobb to be the starter
I sincerely hope not. He could better serve this team as WR/WB. In addition, his type of play is not what we need to mmove up the ladder. We need a solid throwing QB with strong leadership skills. Cobb may have the leadership skills, I don't know, but he is not a strong throwing QB.

--------------------

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-30-2008 02:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only way Cobb will start at quarterback is if the two in coming freshman don't know the system. It may take sometime for them to do that but with their backgrounds and abilities it isn't going to take them long. I would bet they already have the playbooks annd have been given films to study.

Both Mossakowski and Newton are extremely intelligent and are devoted to making this team better even as true freshmen. Cobb knows his chance to make it to the NFL is not at quarterback but as a receiver. He is a team player and wih him catching passes we will be a leg up on getting some qualified receivers..

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 11-30-2008 02:03 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will first throw out the disclaimer that I have never played college ball nor even coached at the high school level. But, imho, Cobb has a pretty strong arm. I'm not saying that his arm is better than the two prospects that are coming in, next season. But, from what I have seen, he has the strongest arm of any QBs on this years team and I remember a throw in the Georgia game where he absolutely drilled the ball downfield into traffic for a first down.

No, he doesn't always have the best touch. But, his touch may come around, next season. And, that may be in part to his receiving corps, who knows. Given his mobility, he is a very worthy talent to have behind center. Sure, he is not that tall. But there have been a few short QBs who have done quite well in the college game. Flutie is one that comes to mind.

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 12-01-2008 08:26 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bd, no doubt about it without Cobb at quarterback this year we wouldn't have been near as good. He really is a talented athlete with a big heart and we are lucky to have him. I would think however he would be the first to say that if we are going to be the team we all want next year he will have to be a receiver.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 12-01-2008 12:07 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to see Cobb be a star receiver, just as much as the next guy. But, let's not forget that the 2 hotshot guys coming in will be freshmen. Even Couch and Tebow didn't start their freshman year. Will one of the 2 young guns be ready for SEC play? Who knows? That is why Cobb has to be in the mix at QB, next season.

Had Pulley still been on the team, he would have been the returning starter as a senior, with the freshmen getting their shot at the right time in each game.

uncSUCKS
Player
Member # 2148

posted 12-01-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for uncSUCKS   Email uncSUCKS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The folks in Knoxville were really impressed with Cobb. They also were pissed off that he didnt come to UT. Good for us!!

--------------------
"God is great, beer is good.....and people are crazy!"

Posts: 3241 | From: stuck in the land of the tarhole ! | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 12-01-2008 01:14 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just think, in the long run, Randall Cobb can help this team more at WR/WB rather than as a running QB. That just doesn't work in the SEC that often these days.

--------------------

Brandon
Player
Member # 108

posted 12-01-2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Brandon   Email Brandon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think in the long run, he will be a weapon at WR that will be hard to match. But not next season, at least, not at the beginning of next season.

Cobb should stay at QB for at least the first few games while working in the #2 guy, who ever that is (as long as it isn't Hartline unless he gets a 100% increase in ability) and gradually let the new guy take over the reigns.

Putting Cobb at WR would be a heck of a weapon. Before UK can do that, we need to have a guy that can get the ball to him effectively.

--------------------
Safety and peace be with you always.

Posts: 6632 | From: Earth...Thanks for visiting. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com