TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » UK vs UF Sept. 26th 2009

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK vs UF Sept. 26th 2009
MetalGator
Recruit
Member # 3027

posted 01-14-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for MetalGator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello

First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Burch and I am the only person in my family who was NOT born in Kentucky. I graduated from UF in 1995. Most of my family still lives in Kentucky (Danville and Glasgow) and I root for the Cats when they aren't playing Florida.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Kentucky to visit family and I would like to schedule it around the UK/UF football game. I have not spend much time in Lexington so I was hoping some of you fans could give me some advice on where to stay and where to hang out prior to and after the game. I will probably be arriving the Friday before the game and staying until Sunday. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Burch
MetalGator

Posts: 3 | From: Palmetto, Florida | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 01-14-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dare I ask who you will be rooting for? That might bear on responses to your original post. [Smile]

PS-Welcome to the Board.

[ 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: bayer ]

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MetalGator
Recruit
Member # 3027

posted 01-15-2009 06:54 AM      Profile for MetalGator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always root for Kentucky (well, at least in football) except for when they are playing UF.

Anyone have any suggestions for a hotel and a good place to tailgate and meet other fans? The wife and I like to kick back a few beers and stoke up the grill when we tailgate before football games.

My aunt and uncle live in Glasgow (close to Bowling Green) and are hugh UK basketball fans. They are both in their 70's and just go crazy over basketball. I plan in visting them after the football game.

Burch

BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 01-15-2009 08:22 AM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know about hotels, but there will be plenty of tailgating all around the stadium. Invest in a cornhole set and a case of beer, and you should have plenty of people to talk to.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Player
Member # 108

posted 01-15-2009 09:01 AM      Profile for Brandon   Email Brandon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The closest hotels to the stadium are downtown close to Rupp Arena. They are a little bit on the expensive side but they are the Hyatt and the Radison so you should kind of expect that.

However, if you travel about 2 miles up Nicholasville Road going away from downtown, you can find a couple of places like The Red Roof Inn and another place I can't remember at this time. But those are both in the 40-50 dollar per night range (it's usually lower than that, but your coming on a UK home game weekend)

There are lots of good restaurants around campus. If you want pizza, good pizza that is, you should try Joe Bologna's. It's only about a mile or so from campus. There's a good selection of nightlife downtown. Try Cheapside Bar and Grill if you don't want pizza. Just for grins and giggles, you should ask the manager why the place is called cheapside. Not the bar, but the area called Cheapside.

There's a lot of things to get into withing about a 1-2 mile radius of the stadium. If you drive around a little bit you will find something that interests you. If the game had been in October, you could have gone to Keeneland and watched the horse races. Some people like that kind of thing, I don't know.

Anyway, enjoy your stay in Lexington.

--------------------
Safety and peace be with you always.

Posts: 6632 | From: Earth...Thanks for visiting. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MetalGator
Recruit
Member # 3027

posted 01-15-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for MetalGator     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brandon

It's funny that you mentioned Joe Bologna's. I used to eat there once every summer. My Aunt and Uncle used to live in Danville and they used to take us to Joe Bologna's whenever we stayed with them. I would like to take the wife there since she is half Italian.

Burch

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com