TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » UK receivers need to improve.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK receivers need to improve.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-04-2009 12:38 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cobb is not one talked about in this article as he is something really special and one of the best receivers we have had at UK..

So we got spoiled.

Burton. Tamme. Johnson. Lyons Jr.

For most of two seasons, the second half of 2006 and all of '07, Kentucky could spread football fields with play-making receivers that could do damage against even the most vaunted defenses.

Now, one full season and four games later, UK still hasn't come close to replacing its lost receiving firepower.

No. 3 Alabama dusted mistake-prone Kentucky 38-20 Saturday before 70,967 in a wind-swept Commonwealth Stadium.

The Cats, surprisingly, stood toe-to-toe with the punishing lines of Nick Saban's Crimson Tide and held their own in the trenches.

But UK was done in largely by four mistakes — three interceptions and a fumble after a pass reception that was returned for a touchdown — in its passing game.

Those Kentucky miscues led directly to 17 Alabama points. The 168 yards Kentucky generated through the air didn't come close to negating those negative plays.

Though much of the blame will fall, deservedly, on the erratic play of UK starting quarterback Mike Hartline, it's also fair to ask how much help the Wildcats QB is getting from Kentucky wideouts and tight ends who are not named Randall Cobb.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 10-04-2009 05:50 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really wonder if it is the quality of the receivers or Hartline's inability to spot the open receiver when his first option is gone.

It seems to me he locks in on one guy, mostly Cobb (and deservedly so) and if he does check down, it's to throw a 3 yd pass to one of the backs.

As much attention as Cobb is getting, there has to be open receivers somewhere or else we really do have bunch of guys who can't run routes.

And the pass to the Tight End position is almost forgotten in KY's arsenal.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-04-2009 06:25 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Locke is gonna end up leading the team in rushing and recieving by seasons end at the rate they are going!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124043 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
hosslee
Player
Member # 2983

posted 10-04-2009 07:52 PM      Profile for hosslee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think hartline just does not see the field very good.he just hasnt thrown very good balls.i think our recievers are playing well
Posts: 106 | From: prestonsburg | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-04-2009 08:20 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When he picks out a reciever he throws the ball behind them more times than not!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-04-2009 08:31 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At some point Brooks is going to have to try someone else. He may be waiting for Newton to get to the point where he knows the plays and feels confident with him out on the field..

--------------------

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-04-2009 09:21 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say we probably won't see another QB until these next two ball games are behind us!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 07:33 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we don't do something soon we won't even be bowl elgible.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 10:41 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OH, we can still be bowl eligible. If you'd asked any prognosticator at teh beginning of the season, they'd have told you that we would get smoked by both of these last two teams we played! We just aren't in Their league, even though we are in their league! [Big Grin]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 11:00 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sure we can be bowl elgible if we win but we still have some very tough games on our schedule. Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and Mississippi to name a few..

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 12:44 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LSU is not on this years schedule!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 12:45 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nor MIssissippi! MIssissippi state, Eastern, Louisiana monroe, are all winnable games!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the way Vandy's passing game looked Sat. They are a a very winnable game as well!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We really just need to steal one other road conference game! IT won't be easy but it never is for OUR football program!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 07:24 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vandy is a must win..

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Misissippi State is game we can win but we will need to play well.

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 07:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Louisiana Monroe should be winable but that are 3-2 and have played a decent schedule..

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 07:32 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We might as well start by winning this weekend!!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
South Carolina, Auburn, Georgia, and UT will all be tough..The only gimme looks to be Eastern..

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be nice to get a good bowl bid one of these years but until we can shore up our receivers and the QB position it isn't going to be easy.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-05-2009 08:24 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found out a few years back at teh Ohio Bobcats game, NO GAME IS A GIMMEE!!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-05-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we lose to Eastern, which we won't, we don't deserve to be in a bowl game..

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-06-2009 03:38 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, but by the same token an SEC team shouldn't lose to the likes of Louisiana-MOnroe either!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2009 08:43 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MH, We will definitely beat Louisiana Monroe but if you look at there record and who they have played they arn't the push over you might think.

Texas 20 - 59 (L)
Texas Southern 58 - 0 (W)
Arizona State 14 - 38 (L)
Florida Atlantic 27 - 25 (W)
Florida Int.U 48 - 35 (W)

[ 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-06-2009 10:14 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OUr receivers should know by now to expect to get hit in the chops, because the throw is going to arrive late. They should expect to spin around and slow down, because the throws are going to be short. And, they might as well raise their level of performance to the nth degree, because they are not going to get help from the QB spot.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-06-2009 12:53 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Catmandoo,

Surely you made a typo -- Louisana Monroe did not beat Florida! [Eek!]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13656 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-06-2009 02:02 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ANd they only lost by 2 points? WOW!! They are a good team!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I corrected the post. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-06-2009 07:12 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's more like it! Still a pretty good record!

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2009 08:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MH, when i looked who they played and what the scores were it was surprising to say the least.
I think we will win but we had better not take them lightly.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com