TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Is it time for Newton?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it time for Newton?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-10-2009 10:57 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The untimely injury to Hartline makes it almost mandatory for Newton to see some action. It would be nice to continue to see Cobb at the QB spot but without good backups in the receiving position it's hard to make him a starting QB.

Newton will probably get looked at real hard this week in practice and if all goes well he may see some duty in the next game.

What do you all think...

[ 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-11-2009 04:24 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
^^^^^I think you mean Cobb, RIGHT?^^^^^

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124043 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 10-11-2009 08:05 AM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think we see Newton. My concern of not putting Cobb back at QB is whether Newton or Fidler can get him the ball consistently.

Hartline was having one of his better games yesterday, and I'm sorry he had to get injured before Brooks would use anyone else at QB.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-11-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would bet the coaching staff wishes they would have used Newton a lot more in earlier games..

--------------------

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-11-2009 10:34 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bet the wish they let Cobb take the snap for the 2 point try
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-11-2009 10:42 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would've liked to have seen them try an on sides kick after our last score!!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-11-2009 11:17 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
I would've liked to have seen them try an on sides kick after our last score!!

Good point. I had already accepted the defeat, by then.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 10-11-2009 12:36 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LIke I said in an ealrlier post, I listened to bits and pieces when I would walk through the maintenance shop!

--------------------

prophet
Player
Member # 2089

posted 10-11-2009 01:24 PM      Profile for prophet   Email prophet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Randall Cobb should be under center - as was the case last year and this year - for the rest of the season. He has the skills and leadership qualities - nearly Tebowlike - as demonstrated by the last UK TD drive and his historical record that is rare. His absence from the receiver/slash position will be exceeded by his contributions at QB. To not have your most skilled player in the most demanding position is a fine example of coaching obstinacy and unwillingness to adapt to circumstances.

--------------------
"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7875 | From: Boquete, Panama | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 10-12-2009 05:54 AM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ditto, Prophet. Auburn gave up 44 points to Arkansas. Kentucky proved they can move the ball and score against great defenses like Alabama and South Carolina. Do we have a chance at auburn?. Can we come up with a plan to score enough points to upset them on the plaines?
Thoughts?

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 10-12-2009 07:45 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have the capability to win 5 of the last 7 games if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. But we can also lose 5 of the last 7 games if we don't play from the beginning of the game. We have nearly a 2 man team and I'm sure you can figure out who those two guys on theoffensive side of the ball are. Unless some of the receivers step up we are in big trouble. I believe all 3 quarterbacks should be used to make the most of our offense.
Posts: 14244 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 10-12-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to see Cobb quarterbacking a GA Tech style offense with Alphonso Smith, Derrick Locke, and Moncell Allen in the backfield. We don't have the receivers to run a "pro set" drop back passing game off the power I, but we do have some good, speedy running backs and could play a deceptive running game based on speed and quickness like GA Tech does. I know it is too late to put that complicated scheme on the field, but it sure would be fun to watch with the personnel we have, especially with Cobb playing the role that Nesbit plays for Tech.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2280 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Player
Member # 108

posted 10-12-2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Brandon   Email Brandon   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like Cobb at QB as well. Chris Matthews is going to be one hell of a receiver. Locke carried the ball 20+ times against USC and was getting solid production and gains. Big John Conner (easily one of my favorite players) should also get some more carries. Big John can get you 5 yards on first down easily. If the offense can't make the other 5 yards in two plays, then we shouldn't even be playing at the D1 level.

But Cobb is a threat to run and pass on any down at any distance. I was puzzled that he wasn't under center for the 2-point try. Hartline was having a better game, true enough. But, with the injury, Cobb should be under center until Newton or Fiddler is ready to take over the reigns. Even then, I would still opt for Cobb until we see something in Newton or Fiddler.

--------------------
Safety and peace be with you always.

Posts: 6632 | From: Earth...Thanks for visiting. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-12-2009 09:08 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ga Cat, agree whole heartedly but the downside is if we don't complete some passes teams can pack the line and linebackers without worry of a passing game and make it a extremely hard time for our runners.

It still is probably our best option to have Cobb at quarterback and hopefully he can throw the short passess well enough to keep their linebackers occupied.

--------------------

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 10-12-2009 09:38 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Newton is going to play in the next game. He is sharing time with Fiddler at 1st string
ukkid10
Player
Member # 2298

posted 10-12-2009 07:18 PM      Profile for ukkid10     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think part of the reason why Cobb was so successful that last drive was because of what a change-up it was to the SC defense. They had seen Hartline drop back and the Wildcat offense surprised them, for one series. I dont see it possible we can run that offense every single offensive play and be successful.
I think we should do that occasionally, say 10-15 snaps a game with Cobb playing quarterback but certainly not the whole game. It just isnt surprising after a while.
Also Im pretty sure the reason why Newton hasnt got action yet was Kentucky's intentions of redshirting him. But now with Hartline down, they almost have no choice but to get him some snaps.

--------------------
"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better." - unknown

Posts: 178 | From: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-12-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kid, i think coach Brooks and Joker agree with you and that's exactly what will probably happen. Cobb will get a few reps in each half but we will not see him play for a extended amount of time...Good post..

--------------------

bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 10-12-2009 07:46 PM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I admit I'm really torn about this one. On the one hand I saw once again what Randall Cobb did in the South Carolina game in short bursts. On the other hand I remember vividly what happened last year when Randall ran consistently at QB and eventually ended up getting hurt and out for the season.

I think I would rather see Randall at WR, maybe occasionally being used in the Wildcat position and having Fidler and Newton share time at QB.

Finally, if Cobb is QB and gets hurt again, then we are back to where we are now without a QB with any significant time against SEC defenses. Don't we need to get one or more QBs playing time?

I also don't think Morgan Newton is ready to face SEC defenses on a full-time basis yet.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-12-2009 09:01 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bayer,

Excellent post. I agree with most of your points, as well as many others posted here. To wit:

1. Cobb is an exceptional talent in the open field. He is a leader, and a winner. We really need the ball in his hands.

2. That said, IMO he is likely to be the most helpful to this team when someone else gets him the ball -- i.e., as a receiver. He is pure dynamite once he gets the ball.

3. The "Wildcat" package -- basically the triple-option renamed -- is a seriously effective change-up. Cobb is sensational as QB in that system. But, like any change, it becomes mundane with overuse. Keep it special by keeping it relatively rare.

4. Newton is likely to get a good look next week. But all reports indicate that Newton simply isn't ready for SEC defenses. They will eat him alive with the various looks, stunts, blitzes, etc. Until he develops the confidence and knowledge of how to check off all the things that are happening in real time, he will likely be a liability more than an asset -- unless we use him like many here are proposing that we use Cobb, as a running QB.

5. That leaves one realistic option. Like it or not, Will Fidler's time has come.

[ 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13656 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 10-13-2009 06:50 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I keep hearing this "you can't run the Wildcat/Triple option" all the time. It becomes mundane, predictable, etc. Has anybody watched Ga Tech play lately. That is all they do. Nesbit may throw only 10 passes in a game and they are racking up gaudy offensive stats in yardage and points. They have done it against SEC teams as well. Remember the comeback win over Georgia. Like I said, I know it is too late to put in a system like that now, but boy, I think it would work with Cobb at QB along with the tail backs and full back we have on the roster. Plus, I believe we have a better defense than Ga Tech.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2280 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
bayer
Administrator
Member # 462

posted 10-13-2009 09:27 AM      Profile for bayer   Email bayer   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tip. You said it much better than I did.

--------------------
Kentucky Basketball - Once Again, A Way of Life in the Bluegrass State!

Posts: 17281 | From: the center of Big Blue Nation!!! | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 10-13-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GA Cat:
I keep hearing this "you can't run the Wildcat/Triple option" all the time. It becomes mundane, predictable, etc.

Anybody watch Miami run it against the Jets last night? Seems to me that it worked pretty good!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36279 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com