TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Word On Phillips

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Word On Phillips
Bluecat
Player
Member # 516

posted 01-11-2012 11:37 AM      Profile for Bluecat   Email Bluecat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If he fails to make it to a bowl game for the 3rd consecutive year he will be let go. Facing the toughest schedule in years presents a very good possibility that this will come to pass. My question is will Kentucky still be able to lure Mike Leach to Lexington?. (bowl eligible would be six wins).

--------------------

Bluecat

Posts: 8489 | From: louisville, ky, usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cat Fan In The Mill
Player
Member # 2756

posted 01-11-2012 03:45 PM      Profile for Cat Fan In The Mill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The win over Tennessee was a total catch-22 because it ended the streak but also saved Joker's job. Had they lost that game, Mitch would have had no other choice but to let him go. Being a season ticket holder and seeing every game, I felt that he needed to be canned regardless. That team was not prepared from the first week of the season vs. WKU to the last. Fortunately, UT was even worse then the Cats.

Phillips falls in line with what I like to call offensive coordinators that don't make good head coaches. I think Joker can be an excellent off. coordinator, but I do not think he has what it takes to be an excellent head coach.

As the SEC continues to get better year after year and other teams in the league continue to land 5-star talent, UK cannot afford to remain mediocre. When the likes of Vandy are pounding you....something is wrong.

--------------------
"On, On, U of K....We are right for the fight today......"

Posts: 1341 | From: Northern Kentucky | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
KyCat
Player
Member # 146

posted 01-19-2012 10:33 PM      Profile for KyCat   Email KyCat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecat:
If he fails to make it to a bowl game for the 3rd consecutive year he will be let go.

So far he has only missed one year. If he fails to make it this year it would just be two consecutive years. We went to a bowl after the 2010 season.

--------------------
TheThack

Posts: 1745 | From: Nicholasville, Ky, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-19-2012 11:47 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joker has a star QB coming in. He is a Parade All American. Phillips needs a big play receiver in this class to go with the QB. He is also after a highly touted RB. The D seems to be going in the right direction. UK finally is getting a top notch QB. Things could fall into place, if the QB is as good as everyone thinks. I read where Chris Collinsworth, the former Pro Bowl receiver for the Bengals, stated that the QB is the best that he has ever seen and makes throws that a lot of pro QBs can't make. I will tell you that Jokers team didn't look that bad, when he had a decent QB running the offense.
Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 01-20-2012 11:11 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boomdaddy:
I will tell you that Jokers team didn't look that bad, when he had a decent QB running the offense.

"They's 'posed to be SEC!" Kinda says it all to me. I go away for a little while and come back and find out I must have missed something last football season.......the laughingstock of SEC football really didn't look that bad. I gotta get my eyes checked.

kynut

[ 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: kynut ]

Posts: 238 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-21-2012 08:47 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kynut:
quote:
I will tell you that Jokers team didn't look that bad, when he had a decent QB running the offense.

"They's 'posed to be SEC!" Kinda says it all to me. I go away for a little while and come back and find out I must have missed something last football season.......the laughingstock of SEC football really didn't look that bad. I gotta get my eyes checked.

kynut

UK did not have a solid QB, last season. The last time the offense looked good or not that bad, was the Hartline. Sorry that I did not specify the time frame.
Catblue
Player
Member # 1467

posted 01-22-2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Catblue   Email Catblue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will bet that the starting Qb for UK will be Morgan Newton. At least for the first few games.
Posts: 99 | From: Madisonville, Ky | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 01-22-2012 02:54 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Catblue:
I will bet that the starting Qb for UK will be Morgan Newton. At least for the first few games.

If I were the HC and I certainly have never been paid a couple million to coach anything, I would start my Parade All American, from the first snap. I would simplify my reads and checks, and call the plays from the sidelines for him. I guess we will have to wait and see what Joker is going to do. I hope Newton gets healthy, but I would like to see him play at another position, like FB or TE.
kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 01-23-2012 09:44 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kynut:
quote:

kynut

UK did not have a solid QB, last season. The last time the offense looked good or not that bad, was the Hartline. Sorry that I did not specify the time frame.
Thanks! I was beginning to wonder. Now I understand what you meant. You are right. Max Smith looked good only because we were comparing him against Morgan Newton, so in reality our QB play was not good all year.

I hate it that Newton has not turned out to be the great QB I thought he would be. I'm hoping Towles is good enough to take over right away.

Joker's offense can be pretty good on those rare occasions we get enough talent to play head-to-head with the SEC. Since we rarely have the talent to succeed from a pro-set I am definitely in favor of moving to a spread option offense like so many schools similar to UK are successfully doing. We need to put our skill players in space to give them their best chance to be successful. As a 60 year fan I am confident that spreading the field, which forces the defense to defend the entire field, is the only way UK will ever be able to compete in the SEC.

Joker will never make that change so that means Joker has to go.

kynut

boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 02-20-2012 10:02 PM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember a pretty large majority stating the same thing about Brooks, a few years back.

If the offense looks as bad as it did this past season, I would fire the HC, because it is his job to fix the problem. He could have hired a new OC. I hope he made the right decision. If they get the O going, they should win some games, because I think the D will be better than last year. If UK can get the offense going this year, I will be in Joker's corner.

The experts don't think UK will fix what is wrong with the offense, because they kept the same OC and the same HC. UK is picked dead last in the SEC with 0 wins in the league. I don't understand why they looked as bad as they did, last year. If they have more of the same on offense, the fans and the boosters will demand a change. I, personally, thought the offense was predictable and couldn't execute simple plays. Maybe the new WR coach can help bring some much needed production to the passing game. As a UK fan, watching them play on offense, last season, was like geting punched in the stomach. I hope they can bring some fun back to the offense and win some games.

kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 02-24-2012 10:57 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter who the OC is as long as Joker sticks to his outmoded offensive thinking which requires our offensive players to be as big and strong and fast as their defensive players. UK is almost never going to have the talent to go head to head with the SEC. That being the case we need to do something to improve our chances. The only things available to us are space and brains......we can make the defense cover more territory in more one on one situations and we can use an offensive system that allows us to create more favorable match ups and better blocking angles for the line. We can also run our offense with no huddle to prevent situation substitutions by the defense and allow them less time to rest. So far Joker has done little or none of these things.

kynut

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-24-2012 02:56 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
kynut - I agree with you. We can not line up and play smash sec football with our talent vs anyone else's talent. Unless we have a "gimmick" ie spread offense etc we will not win 4 games this upcoming year..(sorry to say)

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
BlueCollarMan
Player
Member # 2114

posted 02-24-2012 03:52 PM      Profile for BlueCollarMan   Email BlueCollarMan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To answer your question about Mike Leach. Next year, he would only have been at his job for a year. I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

Fred

Posts: 6815 | From: The Best College Sports Town in America . . .ha, ha. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com