TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Phillips gives rallying cry to fans!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phillips gives rallying cry to fans!
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-29-2012 08:45 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He speaks like a coach who cares about his players and the program. Let's hope the fans get behind these players and give them the support that they deserve.

UK head coach Joker Phillips closed the event with a speech of less than three minutes. Instead of addressing his players, he was speaking directly to not only the UK fans in the room, but throughout the Bluegrass. His message: It's time to rally around the Wildcats.

"These players don't need everybody to believe in them, but they damn sure need somebody to," Phillips said. "And I expect you, the Big Blue Nation, to get behind this football team."

Phillips' impassioned words did not come out of self-interest. He is asking fans to support their team for the sake of the young men he leads.

"Don't do it for Joker Phillips," Phillips said. "I don't care how you feel about Joker Phillips or the staff. Do it for these men that have agreed to come here to represent you and represent you the right way."

The relationship between UK and its fans is a symbiotic one. When fans show pride in the team, players take note. When players reciprocate by performing well, fans are rewarded. To take it a step further, the fan base is a reason why many players chose to become Wildcats in the first place.

"We're out there selling the fact that, since the expansion of Commonwealth stadium, we've had 11 top-25 (seasons) in attendance (nationally)," Phillips said. "We're selling the fact that our rabid fans expect to win, so get behind this team. It's your team. We're selling you, the fans."

Phillips knows what he's talking about when he brings up UK fans. The Kentucky native played at UK and had two different stints as an assistant in Lexington before succeeding Rich Brooks. He knows what he's talking about because he'll go right back to being a citizen of the Big Blue Nation when his career is over.

"When I retire, when I'm done with this sport, I'll be one of you," Phillips said. "I'll be one of you that roots for whoever puts on the Blue and White and has Kentucky across his chest."

In the third year of his tenure, Phillips knows from firsthand experience that his players are doing everything they can to make fans proud, both on and off the field.

"We have a lot of kids in this program that have given a lot," Phillips said. "We have a lot of kids in this program that give a lot. That's why we're excited about this football team - a group of young men, when you look in their eyes, you see Wildcats that are willing to do whatever it takes to get this thing right."

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
boomdaddy
Player
Member # 2644

posted 07-30-2012 10:43 AM      Profile for boomdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the way Joker is approaching this season. He is making a plea for the fans to support the players, without boasting about how good they will be this season.

After last season and the debacle that was the offensive unit that included an injury riddled O line, and an ineffective QB and receiver corps, I can't blame him for not talking up the team.

Hope they get it going. Personally, I am glad that he is waiting to see what the team does in a few games, before predicting performance.

Posts: 8791 | From: paris, ky | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-30-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget Joker was the first coach to coach a team that beat Tennessee in over 30 years. The last coach to do that was Jerry Clayborne. That to me means his players didn't give up on Joker which says alot about the coaching staff.

The last football coach with a winning record was over 50 years ago so the chances of us being competitive in the near future is doubtful at best. I just hope we play hard and with passion and the fans recognize that and give them the support they need to play beyond their abilities.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
kynut
Player
Member # 2934

posted 07-31-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for kynut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
Let's not forget Joker was the first coach to coach a team that beat Tennessee in over 30 years. The last coach to do that was Jerry Clayborne. That to me means his players didn't give up on Joker which says alot about the coaching staff.

The last football coach with a winning record was over 50 years ago so the chances of us being competitive in the near future is doubtful at best. I just hope we play hard and with passion and the fans recognize that and give them the support they need to play beyond their abilities.

I believe the UT streak was 26 years. UF also now stands at 26 years if my memory serves me correctly.

The players need the support of all UK fans but I'm not sure that Joker himself as head coach deserves such support. So far he has done nothing as head coach to earn such support; in fact he has done just the opposite and has let the program slide backward from where Brooks left it.

The historic primary reason for UK's lackluster performance on the football field has always been and still is the fact that the UK heirarchy is not willing to spend the money necessary to hire the very best coaches. Instead they have opted to hire what they can get for the least amount of money. Hence, we have been stuck with a long line of losers. In my opinion Joker is just another in that long line.

So yes, all fans need to support the players totally and in my opinion the best way to support the players is for all fans to demand that UK provide them with the very best coaches money can buy. That is the only way the players can have a chance to realize their true potential and gain the on-field respect they deserve.

kynut

Posts: 238 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com