TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Very disappointing.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very disappointing.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 10-30-2022 08:04 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn’t expect a win but I thought we would compete.

I have to join the group that wants to see the OC replaced. I simply couldn’t understand some of the play calling and the overall offensive game plan. However, I guess the ultimate blame lies with Stoops for our dismal offensive performance. Hell, our defense was nothing to brag about.

We were beat by a much better team.

Levi’s may not be the QB that many of us thought and hoped for but I believe the offensive line played a big part in that.

Bottom line, we need to suck it up and do better. Stoops may have said that. Then again, he may have stolen that line from me. Not sure.

On a positive note, the weather last night appeared to be a very good night for football. I also thought our uniforms were much classier than theirs.

[ 10-30-2022, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5445 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 10-30-2022 10:04 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is and always has been ky football for well over 60 years for me. Without the 4 cupcakes we would never make a bowl.

This year could be a 6-6 or no better than a 7-5 yr.

Missouri just beat SC
Ga is Ga
L-ville just beat badly the 10th ranked team.

Not enough Vandy's I'm afraid.

Our WR's might as well transfer cause no one will throw to them.

Why would u run the ball when there r 9 guys in the box. How stupid is that.

Then to run out the clock cause u are afraid of them?

Mid - level team at best!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 10-30-2022 01:46 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The difference between this year's team and last year's is the offensive line. The last remnants of Schlarman's influence are gone, and it shows.

Part of it also may be that the new OC has changed the scheme completely to zone blocking, which is more of a pro thing. Whatever the reason, we had a reliable, sometimes dominant line for the past 4-5 years. This year, not so much.

If our line was back to the Big Blue Wall we enjoyed so much, this offense would be MUCH better. Levis is a legitimate NFL-calibre quarterback, and we have some top-quality running backs. But without protection, our deep passing game is gone. And without great run-blocking, our running game comes down to individual effort.

Our defense is slightly worse than last year, mainly because of the lack of an elite edge rusher. We have a good D-line that can put pressure on the QB even with a 3-down front, but not enough. Our secondary took a big hit with Square's injury... we will have to see if guys can step up there.

All in all, the big difference is the play of the offensive line. If they were opening holes for C-Rod, and giving Levis protection and time, I think we would have been in the game.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13656 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 10-30-2022 05:02 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hard to open holes with 9 at the def line. That is where the passing game comes into play with the quality wr's we have. Yet we didnt pass to them at all.
p.s.how many times did our qb run?

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 10-31-2022 05:42 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As some have said, the problem is the lack of an O line and the OC play calling. IF Levis is truly a top 7 pick, which is hat they keep saying, then we should be taking shots down the field. Especially against a bad defense and we have good receivers. I don't understand why we have Levis throw so many short passes, wide receiver screens; and only take maybe 3 shots every game. Certainly there are ways when you have a good quarterback and receivers to roll him out to take some shots. It seems I have heard of others using that when the line is not great. It's a shame because I feel we have wasted our best quarterback in years and good receivers. You're not gonna be able to run the ball against 9 every time. that's for sure; but you should be able to hit a few long plays. I didn't think we would win but I was thinking we could play well enough to keep it to a 10 point games. If you turn it over 3 times, Levis, you're gonna give up alot of points to a team like UT. Don't throw those interceptions and that probably takes away at least 14 points, maybe more.
Posts: 5451 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-01-2022 06:21 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem with running a deep route for Levis is you have to give him time to throw the football. A long play takes a little time to develop and recently he hasn't had a lot of time in the pocket for the play to develop!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 124043 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 11-04-2022 07:33 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
The problem with running a deep route for Levis is you have to give him time to throw the football. A long play takes a little time to develop and recently he hasn't had a lot of time in the pocket for the play to develop!

I agree with what you are saying, however the offensive coordinator is doing nothing to help Levis or the line. How about call some designed rollouts to help the line out and to allow deeper patterns to be ran.

If you are going to do that go max protection and only send two receivers in the pattern.

How about a little RPO action with Levis/CROD/Brown?

We get none of it.

Instead, they keep Levis in the pocket darn near 99% of the time where he is a sitting duck on deep patterns or they throw the ball two yards from the line of scrimmage. It's insanity.

[ 11-04-2022, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11625 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 11-05-2022 11:54 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TB is right on.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186363 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com