TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Who's in what league???

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's in what league???
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-07-2023 09:45 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They'll have to create a new guide to NCAA Football this year with the movement of teams from league to league. The ACC and Pac 12 seem to be short on the NIL money so teams are pulling up stakes and moving to the $$$$$.

The ACC may lose Clemson and FL ST to the SEC and it looks like UCLA and Oregon may be moving to the Big 10 (18).

Did they ever stop to think when they started the NIL program that management at the college level would be advocating moving leagues for the players benefit? And that is what it looks like to me. So much for helping the players.

Maybe when, or if, this movement settles down they can rename these conferences.

Conf. 1: Big 10 + E. & W. Coast
Conf. 2: SEC + SE & SW.
Conf. 3: Big 12 + Others

Seems funny to me, but I guess it's not when it comes to $$$$$$

Posts: 14243 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-07-2023 01:36 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like we will end up with only three HUGE "power conferences", each with 15-20 teams.

Big 10 will span coast-to-coast. The SEC will be pretty much the old Confederate states, plus a few on the border. And the Big 12 will be the rest, with precious few "big name" programs. It will struggle, while the Big 10 and the SEC will thrive.

Imagine Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, Flordia, and Florida State in one conference! Those schools won 21 out of the last 30 national championships in Football.

I am glad UK is on more solid footing, but wow. We have NO HOPE of winning the SEC as it is, much less with Texas, Oklahoma, and probably Clemson and Florida State added to the mix.

I could see the NCAA simply having a completely different set of rules for those conferences. They are big enough that the NCAA couldn't really stop them anyway. Maybe they will just accept that they are basically semi-pro leagues, and call them a separate division. "Semi-Pro, division 1, Division 2, and Division 3". The big boys would only play each other (no more "cupcake" wins to pad the schedule. Rename the conferences to "SP North, SP South, and SP West.

[ 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13656 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-07-2023 07:51 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think football should break free from conference play but all other sports should remain in regular conference's. I don't like this many teams in one conference. Football can travel with lots of fans and basketball to for that matter, but just say tennis, golf, Olympic sports having to criss-cross the country is ridiculous.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9879 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com