TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » Why?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why?
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-07-2024 06:28 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why was I looking forward to UK football?

Why did I think our QB problem was solved for the year?

Why did I think we would win over half our games this year?

Why did Stoops quit running the ball up the middle?

Why do I even care.

Most of all, I’ve still got the entire 4th quarter to watch and WHY won’t I just turn it off.

Why? Why! Why!

Edit to say I did watch the 4th quarter. I’m beginning to suspect my intelligence level is playing a part in this.

[ 09-07-2024, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5469 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 09-07-2024 07:13 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Same here Handy. I was thinking this would be a fun year to watch. Supposed to have a good quarterback, good receivers, solid offensive line, good defense. Man we were wrong. That was the worst UK football game I can remember watching. This was a game we really had to win, and should win. Stoops has really pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. Yes, UK will never be great, and he has given us some good years, but he has been brilliant with how he has played UK to pay him all that money. There's no way he should be in the top 10 and making 8 million a year. What a huge waste of money. This season looks like it could be a really bad one.
Posts: 5466 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 09-07-2024 09:43 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
New OC, same result.

Stoops has taken this program to the highest level that he can. As long as he hires high level OC's and then makes them play conservative ball (not their specialty), this is the result we will get.

Now, if this team turns around a wins 8 games this year, I will gladly eat crow.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2291 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 09-08-2024 07:25 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GA Cat
I don’t think you will need to get a fork or napkin ready. What we saw yesterday was not a “one bad game” product. We were embarrassed by a not very good SC team. They have a good D-line, but that offense is putrid. And, of course, we make them look like an offensive stalwart. We’ll be fortunate to win 4 games this year. Our bowl streak is over. Embarrassing!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2308 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 09-08-2024 09:31 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree - 4 wins might be all we get this season.

I think Stoops is a good defensive guy but has no clue offensively. Is he just an old-school "run the ball" coach? Most of his UK teams are like high-school teams. Has he ever had a team with a good passing game???

As bad as yesterday was, I think penalties just killed us. The off-side penalty when there was no way SC was gonna snap the ball - just plain stupid.

Posts: 10359 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 09-08-2024 09:54 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To move to the next level UK has to move on from Stoops. He has done a better job than I expected, but his teams always lack discipline (i.e. too many penalties and blown assignments on both sides of the ball) and they lack offensive creativity because he is a defense oriented coach.

He is a poor man’s Brian Kelly in my opinion.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11635 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-08-2024 10:12 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I knew what to expect when I came here today. Just like I've thought all along, Stoops wins just enough when he has to and keeps working and receiving his stacks of $$$$$. But it just hasn't equaled out over his tenure. Sure we've got a season pass (as long as we win 6) to Nashville or Memphis, with another location thrown it once in a while. But he does not know how to put together a team and staff to get to the next level. I recorded the game while I went to Renfro Valley to watch the Isaac's Show. I think I got the better of the deal, good music from folks who grew up just down the road from where I live. Didn't have to spend 3 hours watching a sorry game that took me about 15 minutes to scan through to see when they were going to start playing???? Never did. Yeah, I think 5-7 wood be a tremendous record for this team and oh yeah, bowl streak will be snapped. Pay him the money and start fresh.
Posts: 14283 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-08-2024 03:49 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least we can say we are the first team in SEC history to be in 16th place.
Posts: 5469 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-08-2024 08:39 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like we are headed to "Return to yesteryear" like they used to say about the Lone Ranger TV program.
Posts: 14283 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 09-09-2024 09:12 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
At least we can say we are the first team in SEC history to be in 16th place.

LMAO!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11635 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-09-2024 04:36 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The offense was horrible especially the offensive line, big blue wall my butt. I believe the main problem with this team is Brad White. When UK plays a decent team which SC is not the defense is never in position to make a play. Their Qb is not very good and we made him look like an all American. I wish we had Bob Stoops instead of Mark Stoops because he's not a big game winner.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9936 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-10-2024 04:00 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those two edge rushers got into our offense EVERY DAMN PLAY. Now, they were very good, but there was no mystery that they were coming on every down, and our offense only adjusted in one drive when they simply ran it down their throat -- edge-rushers be damned.

The right tackle on the o-line was clearly completely rattled when he got the two penalties in a row for the same infraction (lining up too far off the line of scrimmage). He was playing scared... like our whole offense.

When the defense can penetrate the offensive line every play, no offense in the world can look good. The question is...can this be fixed?

Defensively, Brad White loves the prevent defense. His best seasons, however, were when we had the same thing SC has -- at least one, if not two excellent edge-rushers. Disrupting the offense is better than bending with it.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13672 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com