TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Football   » We Have Ourselves a Football Team.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We Have Ourselves a Football Team.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-28-2024 04:46 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you squint real hard, and pretend that the South Carolina debacle didn't happen, we would be looking really good. We crushed the cupcakes, we played the number 1 ranked team to a 1-point loss, and we just smothered UMiss' vaunted offense and pulled out an old-fashioned, black-and-blue football victory on the road against the number 4 team in the country.

Yessir, we have ourselves a football team!

Still scratching my head over the South Carolina game...

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13672 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 09-28-2024 05:47 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly think SC is better than most think. Time will tell, but everytime I am ready to give up on Stoops, something like this happens.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2291 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 09-28-2024 06:06 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What an amazing game. The SC game is a huge head scratcher. How we give up 31 points to them and then hold 2 of the best offenses to a combined 30 pints is crazy! How about that throw from Brock on 4 and 7. That was amazing. I honestly thought the game was over.
Posts: 5466 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 09-28-2024 06:11 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And thank God for Katus being in the right spot to catch that fumble. That would have been the most excruciating way to lose a game had Ole Miss recovered that. I don't know if I could have handled losing in that way. Luckily the football gods smiled down on us.
Posts: 5466 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-28-2024 06:38 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never gave up on Stoops or this team. As grandma always said to me “ if I loved a liar, I’d hug your neck”. I would have been ok with a loss of anything under a couple of touchdowns.

I seriously don’t know what to make of Stoops, this team, the offense, the offensive line, the quarterback, the play calling or the SC loss. The defense seems to be pretty good.

I continue to show my lack of knowledge about football. For that matter, about all sports and life in general.

[ 09-28-2024, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5469 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-28-2024 07:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I think the SC game would have been a shoot-out, except they have what appear to be pro-level edge rushers that we just couldn't block. They pretty much spent the game in our offensive backfield, wrecking our game.

The only drive we had that was successful was when we basically ran it down their gut. Let the edge-rushers come... the ball is between the hash marks grinding down the rest of the defense. But for some reason, Stoops or his offensive coordinator gave up on that and went back to being targets for their blitz.

But, all that aside, every other game we did way better than I expected. Count that one as a "WTF" game, and let's see how far this team can go.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13672 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-28-2024 10:05 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let me eat some crow. I've been a Brad White hater, this season he's doing a remarkable job and he'll get a head coaching job soon, I believe. I still don't know how we won this game. We couldn't run the ball very good. Vandergriff played really well, but he's got to get rid of the ball instead of taking a sack.
This win ranks right up there with beating LSU in '97. They need this bye week. Let's hope that they don't overlook Vanderbilt. GO BIG BLUE!!!

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9936 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-28-2024 10:06 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rlt4uk:
Let me eat some crow. I've been a Brad White hater, this season he's doing a remarkable job and he'll get a head coaching job soon, I believe. I still don't know how we won this game. We couldn't run the ball very good. Vandergriff played really well, but he's got to get rid of the ball instead of taking a sack.
This win ranks right up there with beating LSU in '07. They need this bye week. Let's hope that they don't overlook Vanderbilt. GO BIG BLUE!!!

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9936 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-28-2024 10:28 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I knew we were gonna do this. They just played bad in the SC game intentionally to get us mad. It worked. For as long as I've watched UK football this is what happens. You've got to take the good with the bad. We just never seem to have quite enough to get over the hump and take it to one of the top bowl games. We have played 3 good games in a row now. What's on deck for the Vandy game. Who knows.
Posts: 14283 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 09-30-2024 07:29 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats to the Cats on the win. As Lane Kiffin said…….I don’t think Mark Stoops has ever done anything like that in his life…….

Referring to him going for it on 4 and 8th from his own 20. Maybe he learned that punting is not winning football after the UGA game.

Let’s see if he keeps it up the rest of the season.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11635 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-30-2024 10:51 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I have this rating system figured out now. Ole MS hadn't played any body on their schedule before UK that amounted to much. The voters got all hot and bothered and decided they should be ranked #6. Wrong!

They were not #6 by a lot and I think we will see that as they play more SEC games. They have a good team but not #6. UK beating them by 3 points proves this. UK losing to Georgia by a point follows the pattern.

AL beating GA continues my point of assessment. GA is not quite as good as they have been rated early on.

My point is, don't expect UK to win a bunch of SEC games because of all this. I'm guessing we may win a couple more SEC games that go down to the wire. I don't think we will break even in SEC games and hope we can win 6 or 7 games and make it to Nashville or Memphis for a bowl game.

Posts: 14283 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 10-02-2024 01:13 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Referring to him going for it on 4 and 8th from his own 20. Maybe he learned that punting is not winning football after the UGA game.

I think that happened around the 4 minute mark. I was absolutely shocked when he went for it. To be honest I thought he should have punted with that much time left and the defense playing well. My son took the opposite view, Good thing I’m not the coach.

[ 10-02-2024, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5469 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com